Saturday, May 30, 2009

Gualala

It was another fun-filled awesome year at gualala. I just love that place. No matter what the weather is or how many bugs there are it is still one of my all-time favorite places. And I know it is because it holds so many fond memories of growing up. Everytime we drive into the park, I think of being a kid and itching to get out as soon as my parents would stop to check in. We would beg and beg to get out and run to the playground or campsite. Its as if as soon as I see the river when you make the turn off stage coach road a flood of memories come back like a tidal wave. From exploring in the ferns behind campsite 208, wars in ewok village with heidi, micah and I vs. Amber tyler and Jared, sleeping in the trees, hunting banana slugs (and seeing who would kiss them or watching my dad eat one), finding frogs at the river (and then roasting them ove the fire...I know not very animal friendly, but we were young), grandma smith with candy or sparklers and always some kind of "treat" for the weekend, christmas lights at grandma's camp to find our way back, jumping off the log in the river, the HUGE rope swing that isn't there anymore, ab diving, bike rides on the tandem, biking in town to get the yummy ice cream at the "house", church in the little house... and so much more. It is part of my childhood. Part of my family memories. It is where so many of us cousins connected and bonded!!! I love that place! And it is even better now to see my kids making the same memories. Brooke talks about it even more than disneyland. There is something about being in such a beautiful setting for a few days that just rejuvanates you!
This year it was beautiful weather and no too many mosquitos! We got to go up thursday evening and came home tuesday afternoon! It was so relaxing and fun. We played at the river almost everyday, went to point arena to meet the guys after diving and got a ride on Boppy's boat, had many fun bike rides and walks around the park with Brooke on her bike, many hours pushing Livia on the swing, eating such good abalone (for some reason this year it seemed to taste even better than the last few years), campfires and more stories! It was a great weekend. Brooke was so sad to leave. Thank you grandma smith for making gualala a priority trip in our family and starting this awesome tradition. Thank you mom for keeping it up and organizing it for everyone!! I am so glad my kids will get to have similar memories of my childhood!!!

Our mac is still down, so i can't post pictures, but you can check out Melissa's or Melanie's blog for some pictures. Hopefully I will get some up soon!!

1 comment:

Beck Family said...

Ash you can copy and paste the picture of your family from my blog to yours. Gualala is an awesome place. Jack seriously loves it better than any other place. They cried when we left. We had so much fun hanging out with you guys.