Thursday, December 9, 2010

Star of the Week

Brookelyn was chosen Star of the Week this past week. What a Gal!

I'd like to say (and think) it's because she is this spectacular student. Well rounded in every way. Helpful, kind, attentive, and respectful 1oo % of the time. And she probably is, at school. But then I learned that they were assigned which week they got to be star of the week. But i can still think what i want to about why she got it!

She was so excited to color her poster and fill in all the information! And what was even better is that she got to "present" her poster on wednesday. Just as I walked into the classroom. Ot was impecable timing. Couldn't have been more perfect. i volunteer on wednesday's in her class and thankfully I got there about 10 minutes early and just happen to see her. It was so great. She got to be up front on a big chair with her poster while the other kids were on the rug. She talked about everything on the poster and then everyone got to answer questions or make comments. And boy, oh boy, did she eat this up. If you can picture this...since i didn't have my camera (but who am i kidding, i never have my camera). She is sitting there on the chair with her legs crossed. This grin of pure joy. She was so proud to be able to be in charge. She got to remind the kids that if they wanted to make a comment they needed to raise their hands and she would call on them. It was hilarious! So great! She ate up all the compliments. They all said how they loved her drawings and colorings. And she just beamed. Her love language is definitely words of affirmation and physical touch. Man, i wish i had had a video camera. But i am just really grateful, i happened to be there to see it! Brooke, you are AWESOME!

I also got to teach Brookelyn's class PE. It was so much fun. I actually got to put into practice some of the great things i learned at BYU! We played some great tag games and then did lots of jumping and skipping over hula hoops. It was great. I loved it when the kids kept saying to each other, "That was so fun!" or "I loved the Cookie Monster game. Can we do that again?" I just kept them moving and smiling for 25 minutes and now they all love me! It really showed me again, that kids like to be physically active. And they all need more of it!

Then i got to teach the cub scouts volleyball that same day! Wow, that Master's degree in Sports Pedagogy came in handy. :). It was so funny to see the boys get so into it and competitive! I loved it.

It was a fun Wednesday! I am so grateful I get to be in Brooke's class and see her environment once a week. I am still trying to think of ways to be able to be in her class in first grade too....any ideas!

2 comments:

The Wittmer's said...

you are an amazing mom! woo hoo on using your education! miss you! cant wait to slow down and see you again! xoxo

jonna said...

aren't those the best days - being in your child's class - knowing they...and their friends...love having you come! and thinking you're the best! my avenue was music, yours-p.e. just be there and you'll have many many more of those moments to treasure.

p.s. cole LOVED doing volleyball with you! i hear he has a decent serve. thanks for taking your time with him/them!