Monday, May 23, 2011

Gualala Anticipation

I love that our whole family gets so giddy about Gualala. It is so much fun to anticipate. Thankfully, i am not stressed a bit about getting ready for the trip. I am always just so giddy. It is like butterflies in your tummy all the time. We talk about all we are going to do there at dinner every night for two weeks leading up to it, it seams. Brooke shares all her fun memories and we talk about all the friends she will get to play with there. Gualala is just part of who i am. It is such a huge part of where i learned important things in life, like HARD WORK (jessica, kim and I have lots of fun memories scrubbing huge stainless steal pots in the spicket by the road)and how to have fun, and bonding times with family. Some of my earliest memories are roasting marshmallows around the fire gate Grandma Smith had with Heidi and Micah, and often times waking up with marshmallows stuck in our hair. Or playing cards in Aunt Holly's motorhome, finding banana slugs in the fern forest, collecting crabs at point arena and getting "lost" from the campsite, but always finding our way back to the christmas lights Grandma Smith made sure to hang at her site, just for that reason. Or earning money picking up trash just so we could buy more candy from Grandma Smith's store. Man, the list goes on for miles and miles.

But i just wanted to write down and remember the giddyness that fills our home for the weeks leading up to this awesome weekend! I also love it so much because it makes me think about Grandma all the time and all the memories that are woven into my heart because of her diligence in making this a family tradition. For some reason i feel her presence and love just a bit more about this time of year.

Our family is so blessed because of this fun tradition. Its going to be another fun memorial weekend! Cold, but always fun!

2 comments:

Beck Family said...

My kids were begging me to take them to Gualala. I think Jack feels the same way as you do. Its such a part of him now. Sadly, we won't be there for a while, but it is one amazing place. I think you should hang Christmas lights at your site, it definitely would make it easier on all those lost kids. Just thinking about it makes my heart wish I could be there too. Have lots of fun and be sure to take lots of pictures.

Megan and Keli'i said...

I'm not gonna lie, I always think of you guys every single Memorial Day weekend. The Bodily's weekend to Gualala is such a great tradition. One of my best memories from the past.

Have so much fun! And know how jealous I am that you'll be doing all those fun things and eating delicious abalone!