Saturday, June 12, 2010

Concrete and an awesome neighborhood

Monday is the big day we get to FINALLY walk on the new concrete and enjoy our new backyard. It has been an eventful backyard makeover, but it will be so worth it.
We had always thought we would have to wait a few more years to do our backyard. (We spent all of our money on the house when we gutted it...so there wasn't anything left for the outside.) We have been saving and saving for a minivan, and when we got one quite a bit less than what we had planned on, I decided we were going to use what was left to at least put in the concrete in the backyard. So my dad told us about how much it would be (and of course we planned a little more, after doing the entire house we learned that everything is about 20% more than what you think. Not because my dad is off on his calculations, but there are always so many other little things that "will just make it so much nicer." ), and we had Martin (my dad's concrete guy) come over and we designed everything. But we also found out that it wasn't going to be as easy as thought. Instead of just pouring over the existing uneven pad, we were going to have to tear it out completely and dig down a about a foot, over the ENTIRE yard. I am SOOOOO glad we hired that part out. Even if it did cost more. So it took four workers 5 days to break up, haul out and dig up the backyard. Literally, back breaking labor. Then we made all the desicions, and let me tell you the memories of the MANY, MANY, MANY decisions we had to make during our house remodel started flooding in. And I started to remember why I was such a nut case for the year we were remodeling. You just have to make so many little decisions and there is just so many things to think about and look for and decide on...I can see why some people get divorced over house remodels if they can't communicate.
Anyway, so we got it all squared away with color and design and size, etc. And the big day finally came to pour. Let me just tell you we never have stray dogs out in our neighborhood, but on thursday, we happened to have 2! The first was early on when it was totally wet and the crew was still here adn they hadn't textured, so they fixed it. The second one happened about 5 hours after they had already poured the salt and finished everything. AHHH! We couldnt shut the gate becasue of the framing on the side. So the workers blocked the entrance with a wheelbarrow and shovel to keep dogs like the one in the morning out. But another dog somehow got through and left deep grooves of dog paws on the beautiful new concrete. Yeah, I was a tad frazzled, mad and stressed. This is all while Brooke had Riley and Emma over playing tea party. i was trying to get the rice started so it was finished for the "rehearsal" dinner (not really a rehearsal, but I guess that is the traditional name.), shower, and get brooke dressed and out the door for dance pictures. I called Martin IMMEDIATELY and asked him what I should do to fix it. He said there was nothing he could do and to catch the dog and the owners would need to pay for it to be redone. Well, i don't like dogs, but I was willing to catch this dog. I was walking over to Cheri's to see if she could come watch the kids while I caught the dog. Luckily Brittany drove up at that moment. (Have I mentioned how great a neighborhood I live in. We love it here! We have the most awesome neighbors and friends.) All the girls in the toy room were coming out of the house screaming at Brittany what happened-I had to keep telling them to go back inside. Brittany caught the dog with some turkey. It turned out to be my friends dog that lived around the corner. I called ben to see what I should do and he said, "You have to go over and return the dog and tell them what happened and see how we are going to resolve it." In my mind I was thinking, can't I just wait for you to get home and you can do it. But, i had to buck up and do it. Brittany and Cheri stayed with the kids while I walked over. I had a pit in my stomach walking the dog over, i just kept thinking about how this was going to go over, how much we had just spent on our yard, and I was so frazzled-and sweaty since I hadn't showered all day and had been running.... My friend was so great about it. When I told her what happened she apologized and said just tell me what we need to do. Again, I was so grateful for such a wonderful neighborhood with great people. Thankfully, their renters insurance will probably cover it and we will still get some awesome concrete!
And at this point when I got home, I had 40 minutes to get the rice done, showered and ready adn brooke dressed for dance, while jackson kept crying to be nursed. AHHH! And then there was a knock at the door and it was Rochelle, Brittany's little sister. "Would you like me to watch the kids while you get ready?" Me: "YES!!! I would love that." I almost started crying, I was so grateful! (and stressed about how I was going to pull everything off.)

But it turned out great. Brooke was only about 5 minutes late to pictures. The rice got finished (Mind you this was rice pilaf for 60 people.) and I showered and actually put make-up on.

The dinner was great and the wedding the next day was awesome. But I am sure it will take me a while to post about that one...but i'll still hope I do it by tomorrow!

And our concrete looks awesome!

3 comments:

Cheri said...

So, your concrete DOES look awesome. I just read this and kept thinking..."why didn't i offer to help you?!" hello! i'm totally clueless!

Beck Family said...

What a day!!! Thank goodness for good friends. Reminds me of a day when I was down and out and feeling terrible and a dear friend (you) showed up on my doorstep with dinner. Its only fitting that you get help when you need it because you do the same for so many others!

Kari said...

I almost used this story in my Beehive lesson today but ran out of time. I wish we lived around the corner!