Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thankful Tree

Last night for Family Night we did our annual Thankful Tree. It is always a huge hit with Brooke. She loved writing things on the leaves and Livy especially loved gluing everything on...even if she did use the entire glue stick for three leaves, it was a joy. Brooke kept saying, "Mom, I just love this! I am so thankful for...." It is a great feeling to think that she enjoyed something so much that it might actually be sinking in.

Last night we also gave the girls awards. I am trying to do things to recognize the little things and praise my kids more. So Brooke got the Superstar Award! She was ecstatic. It was for her determination in making sure the toy room was clean and her room was picked up. And then even looking for other jobs to do. I love it when she gets in those helpful moods and says, "Mom, is there anything I can do to help you?" Love it!

Livy got the Princess Award for being so happy yesterday. She was very quick to say thank you for everything. And then saying "That was good manners, huh Mom."

Ben has been doing such an awesome job of being organized enough to remind me and talk about the FHE lesson on Sunday afternoon. Rather than scrambling to think about something on Monday evening. He is even so awesome that he has been planning the lessons lately! It is AWESOME to say the least!

But when we still have those times that we are scrambling I like to think of Elder Bednars words from a few conferences back.

Sometimes Sister Bednar and I wondered if our efforts to do these spiritually essential things were worthwhile. Now and then verses of scripture were read amid outbursts such as “He’s touching me!” “Make him stop looking at me!” “Mom, he’s breathing my air!” Sincere prayers occasionally were interrupted with giggling and poking. And with active, rambunctious boys, family home evening lessons did not always produce high levels of edification. At times Sister Bednar and I were exasperated because the righteous habits we worked so hard to foster did not seem to yield immediately the spiritual results we wanted and expected.

Today if you could ask our adult sons what they remember about family prayer, scripture study, and family home evening, I believe I know how they would answer. They likely would not identify a particular prayer or a specific instance of scripture study or an especially meaningful family home evening lesson as the defining moment in their spiritual development. What they would say they remember is that as a family we were consistent. (More Diligent and Concerned at Home. October 2009. click here)

Today I am thankful that we planned a Family Night Lesson that was so fun for the kids!

No comments: