Friday, May 14, 2010

TV

We don't have TV. Not because I think everything evil comes out of that Black Buddah (as Sam once coined the phrase), but we decided to not get TV when we bought our house because we can't afford a cable bill. And after we lived with my parents and had dvr and all the great channels, I didn't want to go back to basic. I didn't want to have to watch commercials. I used to miss it. I used think about when we could possibly squeeze it into our budget. But now I love not having it. We watch things on hulu occasionally when Ben finishes his seminary lesson early and ben is an avid ESPN. com visitor, but for the most part I don't miss it at all. And after this week I have been thinking that we might never get TV again. And that sounds really weird to me becuase I thought my sister-in-law was crazy when they said they weren't going to have tv when they moved. But the tables have turned and now I am the "crazy" one it seems.
When we flew down to disneyland on tuesday (more on that later) we went on jet blue. And by the way I am a total jet blue fan now. SOOO much leg room. Anyway, they have a tv for every seat and you get to control the channels, which is great! Especially since they had the disney channel and the discovery channel. Brooke loved it. (And I miss tv for things like animal planet and the history channel). And we loved it becasue it kept the kids entertained (except on the ride back on wednesday because the tv's were broken, ahhh, we missed them). But right next to the kids channels were MTV, VH1 and cartoon network (which had nothing but some stupid cartoons with not very good language on it). And I worried that brooke would pass through the channels and stop and watch Mtv with some STUPID music video on it with pretty much naked dancers on it. And the the thought came to me, that I don't miss having to monitor what the kids watch. I don't miss the suggestive commercials, I don't miss getting sucked in to an hour and a half of flipping channels only to say at the end of it, "Man, there is nothing on." (Well then why did I sit there and waste an hour and a half to figure that out.)
So for now, I think we will keep enjoying lots of videos from the library (Brooke loves little house on the prairie now), hulu, espn.com, and super why and elmo on ben's iPhone. I will continue to miss cnn, msnbc, and video on demand-but I will take missing that over having to worry and monitor everything that is on tv.
So we will still be that "weird" family without cable.

3 comments:

Uila said...

I know where you're coming from, but TV is my way to relax...and my husband's too. We've got the DVR and all that, but I know I could make better use of my unwinding time. One day:)
I totally didn't know you guys bought a house! Congrats. Isn't it great!!!
We are making changes slooooowwly but surely, as we save up for certain things.

And I'm totally the lady who runs out trying to take the garbage as the truck drives by...you're not alone! I used to laugh when my mom would run out in the morning, and now I'm her. Too funny!
Miss you guys!

lindsay eyre said...

Are you referring to me, your crazy TV hating sister in law? Just kidding. I know I'm crazy, and glad to have the company. Sam and I watched Return from Snowy River last night, and it is amazing how when you hardly ever watch anything at all, and then you do watch something and you realize how really lame and stupid most things are.

Can you zone me? I was actually thinking about that. I wonder if I need more Vitamin E or something.

And, I'll try the peppermint oil, but I must admit, I'm skeptical. So far DEET and only DEET works. Ugh.

Hope you're having fun in Disney!

skoobdog said...

Oh, Dan and I have thought about getting rid of our TV...but We're not there just yet....TV is probably the one thing that I hate the most...it just sucks you in....it makes me so mad...maybe some day we'll just have to go cold turkey...

You inspire me...