Tuesday, February 15, 2011

It was the worst of times....it was the best of times...

Well it started out as a great Valentine's Day morning. Brooke was a little disappointed on Sunday night that we didn't have more decorations (note to self=that girl likes parties and decorations.) So as soon as I got up on monday morning, Livy and I cut out lots of hearts and wrote notes on them for the family and taped them all over the cabinets. I even found some small gifts from the "present" box in the closet and wrapped them. It was great. I was glad i felt like i did a little something. And we had a great morning, playing games and talking.

Then it was time to get ready and choose a Valentine's outfit. And so it turned out to be yet another fiasco with picking out clothes for Brooke. It is just so hard to handle sometimes. She can't stand ANY seams, nothing fits right. no matter what type of leggings they are, they itch. One time she wears a pair of pants, and then when you suggest them again (because she loved them the last time), she goes into hysterics because they itch her somewhere, or they fit funny here, or it doesn't look right. I got so frustrated yesterday, that I got out the scissors and cut off the ruffles on the bottom of her leggings. That didn't help. Actually that was probably the worst thing i could do. Because, "THAT WAS THE PRETTY PART!!!" Even though that was the part that was bothering her. And since there was NOTHING else she would wear, I just cut them off. Boy, oh boy, that girl gets me worked up. I really need to learn how to deal with this better. AHHH. After I finally threw my hands in the air about it, she went back into her room and found some pink pants to wear under her red polka dot skirt with a pink shirt. It was great for Valentine's day. And i just had to wonder why she couldn't have chosen those from the beginning and been happy with it, or at least for the third outfit...then we wouldn't have had to go through all six outfits and still be upset about it.

Luckily by the time we were finished playing on the playground for 5 minutes before her classroom door opened, we were both happy (actually Brooke was happy before she left for school. I was the one that still needed to let off some steam.). I kissed her goodbye (I am so glad she still likes to be kissed on the lips), and we had a little whisper chat and said tomorrow would be better about clothes.

Livy, Jackson and I then went quickly to the store and then headed home to make muffins. (I decided muffins would be an easier task than cut out cookies for this Valentine's Day). And it was such a great time. Livy helped happily the entire time! And Jackson waddled around the island doing laps and jabbering. I kept thinking about what a stark contrast it was from the morning episode.

And i learned a great lesson, again. No matter how mad you are, take a few minutes and the storm will calm, and life will be great again. And someday, I am going to laugh at myself that I just started cutting off the lace on brooke's pants-but for now, i am still a little bugged at myself for getting that frustrated.

1 comment:

atec said...

just a thought - I've noticed you comment about how seams and tags and stuff bother brooke a lot - I don't know what other struggles you've had either. But have you looked into Sensory Processing Disorder? Clark has it, and just learning about it has totally helped us be more aware of things to help him. It obviously takes more than seams and tags to have it - but check out spdfoundation.net or www.sensory-processing-disorder.com