Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Vivid Memories

As of late I feel like I have enjoyed a little more the journey of motherhood. I think it has to do a little with Livy coming out of the "two's" stage. Sure, there are still tantrums and lots of screaming and drama. But i have really been able to soak in the little moments. Like today, going to the chiropractor. I couldn't stop grinning from ear to ear listening to their little conversation on coloring together and sharing a coloring book without fighting. It wasn't like they said anything hilarious, but they were so cute describing pictures to each other, showing each other hiding places on the way out to the car, getting excited about sitting next to each other in the car. It was great. Or little moments of listening to Brooke and Livy build towers together in the toy room, while trying to figure out ways not to let Jackson knock them down. I am continuously thinking, I need to go write that down. Or, I need to remember those conversations and joy in their voices. But when I sit down and rack my brain I can't remember the words, but I just feel the joy from those little moments.
I wish i could put a recording in my head of how cute Livy's little voice is. All of a sudden she has started talking like a little adolescent in her 2 year old accent.
I am enjoying Brooke's love for drawing and writing. (Even if it means stacks and stacks of papers that we can't throw away. And markers all over Livy-she has to do everything brooke does.) She just loves to sound out letters and write names and draw pictures.
Jackson is starting to copy everything you do . He loves to raise his hands in the air and shout for joy and he just started saying "dadda" (although he has no clue what it means). And of course, he is still our smiley little guy.
The last few weeks I have felt more joy in these little moments, constantly wishing I could bottle up the sounds and mental pictures to save. Hoping that I can open the jar and listen to and watch those moments when these little kids leave for jr. high or college. I find myself trying to engrave the tiny moments in my mind, hoping that I will find some of those images as vivid memories in future years.
Although it is still petty chaotic around here, and i never finish all that I set out to do, I am enjoying it none the less. It really is a journey. And I am learning that sometimes we are better travelers than other times. And for now, while I feel like I am a good traveler, I want to remember it!

No comments: