Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Kindergarten





Today was Brooke's first day of kindergarten. I cried. I didn't think i would. But when i got to the car, the tears all came. Actually I started to tear up when I was walking to the street to get to the car and then Livy threw herself on the ground and cried because she was too hot to walk she said. So the crying emotions stopped and i thought I would be okay. But as soon as I put jackson and livy in the car I started to cry. I think it's totally normal. I know she will do great. She was ready to go, although I am thinking some of the sadness/hesitation is because of the STUPID lottery and Brooke didn't get in to Parkmont. I try not to think about the fact that other kids are playing with all the furniture in the kindergarten rooms that my dad built, or the fact that my grandpa donated the land, or that my dad remodeled and built them three different libraries. But those thoughts are kind of always there. And I know its not the end of world that Brooke is at a different school than her friends, or that I have to drive her to a school out of our neighborhood, when I could walk her to parkmont. But it still hurts to think about it sometimes.
I know Brooke will do Awesome and Ms. Du, her teacher, seems great. She is from Taiwan, so I know her and Ben will have a lot to talk about. Maloney is a much smaller school and I think we will like it. When Brooke walked into the classroom it was the first time I have seen her really apprehensive and a little nervous. She has always been so excited about school. We went to the meet and greet yesterday to meet Ms. Du and some of the kids and I showed Brooke where she would sit, and we colored a little bit. But she still didn't seem really comfortable. I think that was the hardest part for me. We pumped her up about Maloney and tried really hard to not to talk about how stupid it was that she didn't get into parkmont when she was around. She will do great!

We tried to think of some fun traditions for the beginning of school. Ben gave Brooke a father's blessing on Monday night for part of family home evening. That brought back a lot of memories from when I was a child. We thought of going out to dinner, or making a cake and having a party. I knew Brooke was excited about her clothes grandma had gotten her, so we decided to do a "fashion show. Well after lots of tears, we did a little one. And then had ice cream sundays. I think that tradition will be better next year. And I am thinking some of the tears and frustrations the last two nights are just Brooke being nervous and not knowing how to explain it.
I know this will be a great year for Brooke! I am so glad she has a good teacher! And who knows, maybe we will like Maloney better than Parkmont!

5 comments:

eyre blog said...

i'm trying to think of what to say right now. i'm just laughing and tearing up at the same time. you are hilarious. is this a good time to let you know i just ran out of my face wash?

The Wittmer's said...

you are too sweet... loved your comment... and I seriously can not believe the boys are going to be 1~ Love Brooke's Hair cut... ADORABLE!!! Miss you!

Rudy said...

LOTTERY!! What a load of CRAP! Good for you being so positive to Brooke about Maloney...she'll always be a Parkmont Pirate...Python...Panther :-)

Uila said...

ashley!!!!! i miss you! so excited for brooke. moana has loved kinder too. i'm surprised i actually didn't cry. too funny!

Kari said...

Aiden's first week was great but the next was filled with tears every morning. I think he has anxiety and doesn't know how to express it. He is worried I am not going to pick him up from school. He has never been left anywhere in his life. Brooke looks so cute. Actually she looks like a 2nd grader. How tall is she now?