Sunday, March 6, 2011

Standing Up

As i was preparing for my Sunday School lesson and trying to make sure i could apply the scripture to the kids everyday life, i thought of this experience i had just this last week.

A friend sent out an email informing us of one of the books that will be going to the School Board to be voted on for AP english class. The book is titled Angels in America Part 1: The Millenium Approaches. I am grateful she is so diligent in keeping many of us informed on the things that are happening. The book is absolutely totally repulsive and offensive in language and content. If you really are interested on how incredibly horrible this is you can check it out here. I couldn't even get through two pages of the book because of the language. And this is what a teacher wants to have our teenagers filling their minds with. So I wrote a letter and I got responses within two days.
I am studying Matthew 5 to teach to my kids today at church, it really jumped out at me with this experience that it is so important that we don't hide our light. "Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. 15Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. 16Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matt 5:14-16). There are other people who are trying to share their light and we need to support and help them. By standing up for things we are being a light. It was just such a good reminder that we are to share what we know to be right.

This is the letter I wrote:

To All FUSD School Board Members,

As an English major in my undergraduate studies, I have read many books. I have been exposed to good literature and horrible literature. I think it is extremely important that we use good literature to teach our children. It is appalling to me that the book Angels in America Part One: The Millenium Approaches is even being considered as a text for our teenagers to read and learn from. There are many great books that can teach lessons without having to read such foul and distasteful language. The language is offensive, vulgar and totally inappropriate for anyone, let alone teenagers. As a former student, employee and coach, and now a parent in the Fremont Unified School district, I am so disappointed that anyone would see this piece of literature fit for our students. My athletes weren't allowed to say things in the gym that were even half as offensive as the writings in this book. I am extremely disheartened, outraged and in total shock that we would consider exposing our children to the type of conduct and language that is promoted in this text. In a society that is heavily lacking in respect and morals, it would be very unwise to expose our teens to the behavior, events and language that are celebrated in this book. We should be looking for literature that will teach our teens values and respect. We should not be wasting our teens time with books about "soap opera" affairs and alternative lifestyles, they can see that on TV. I am confident that there are plenty of other books that can teach our teens about the effects of AIDS and promiscuous lifestyles without being so distasteful in language and moral values.

Before you vote to approve this book, I would expect that you will ask yourself, and the teacher lobbying for this book, what the goal and purpose of exposing our teens to this book is. From the few pages I have read, and from the overview i have studied (because I was so offended by the language in the text that I couldn't make myself read it in its entirety), I am totally stumped as to the reason this book is being given to teenagers to read.

Please vote NO on approving the book Angels in America Part One: The Millenium Approaches . It is important that we fill our teens minds with good literature that will inspire them to be better. With the school work that is already expected of our children and the minimum extra time they have, it is imperative that we choose good literature and resources for them to read that will elevate their goals and influence them to be the best person they can be and this book does not do that.

Regards,
Ashley Eyre
Former Washington High School Volleyball Coach

And within 48 hours i got some great responses from the Board members, one in particular. Here are a few parts to it:

Thank you for taking the time to compose such a detailed e-mail regarding Angels in America.
I agree that we have to do all we can to reinforce positive character traits and we have to make sure that the religious beliefs of all are not subject to ridicule or hate.
The teacher who put this book forward for Board approval has stated in public that one of her favorite quotes is 'All literature is sexual'. While I disagree with the statement and believe she has every right to her beliefs, it does provide possible insight into motivation. That said, the content of this book (and the second book of this series), is full of hate and loathing aimed at more than one religious belief.
If this book had Muslims replacing Mormons and their religious beliefs held to attack, it would probably not have ever made it to the Board's consideration. That makes for a simple analysis related to the degree of the offensive nature of the work.
The content about God, the angels' activities in heaven and earth, the placing of real people in fictional settings and the general tone of the work is certainly grounds for reflection, but it hardly meets the requirements we want to have our high school children exposed to as required reading.

It is always comforting when we know there are others who support us. As i am sure this board member was happy to know there are others out there that are concerned about the things our children our subjected to.

*Post edit-And if you live in the area, you should let your voice be heard as well. Write a letter to the board, or attend the board meeting.

5 comments:

Cheri said...

Way to go! I am drafting my own email to the board right now - I think I will focus on how perpetuating any stereotype leads to more discrimination, especially those of homosexuals. It's shocking to me that here in the Bay Area they are encouraging such a book that will inevitably lead to more of what they claim is not appropriate.

lindsay eyre said...

Awesome Ashley. Way to stand up!

The Skoobs said...

Home schooling is looking really good right about now....But, I need to have a voice and support people like you that want to make a change. I will have to start writing my letter!

Melanie said...

Way to go Ashley!!! They definitely need to know that there are people out there that won't just go along with anything they decide on. I hope they vote against it.

eyre blog said...

how totally bazaar. Way to take a stand!